Friday, June 12, 2015

You Probably Think this Post is About You

I've had a few readers ask me what prompted the marriage counseling post from a few days ago.

More accurately I've had people ask whether the post is about specific people I know in real life.

The answer is, Nope!

I've been wanting to write more about marriage and this is the first thing that popped into my head. Wasn't about anyone in particular.

See I like to illustrate my points with examples in order to make them tangible.

The examples I use are completely fictional unless otherwise stated.

Are they inspired by real events and situations? Most certainly! I use a mixture of past experience, personal observation, and stereotypes to craft my bullshit so it's only natural that I hit the mark once in a while.

I assure you that when I do it's purely by accident.

Apparently I'm accident-prone because this isn't the first time I've had people ask me "Who were you talking about just there?"

For example I had a colleague approach me a few years back and ask me whether this post was about him. Did he inspire me? On some level, sure, but by no means was it about him.

If you suspect a post (or part of a post) is about you it simply means you see yourself or your situation in one of my fictional, overly generalized examples.

Just because a shoe fits doesn't mean it was custom-made for you. Just means your foot happens to be the right size.

So let me say it loud and clear once and for all.

If I don't mention you by name, it's not about you.

No comments: