Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Dear Senators

This is an open letter I sent to the Senate this morning regarding bill C-51, aka the Canadian Patriot Act, aka the Secret Police bill, aka Uncle Stephen is Watching.

I encourage you to write your own letters today. There are a number of petitions you can add your name and message to. This is the one I signed. I know a lot of people think internet activism doesn't get anything done but my philosophy has always been, "it certainly can't hurt!"

Internet activism convinced Tim Hortons to take down their oil-pipeline ads.

Apparently, it also caused the Senate to delay voting on C51.

So take a minute and add your name. And if you're not in the writing mood, feel free to appropriate my letter, change it up how you see fit, and fire away.

Cheers!

***

Dear Canadian Senators,  

I've written to a number of you about bill C51 already and will reiterate what I have said.

Never before has the Senate been so reviled and disliked by Canadians. The chamber of "sober second thought" has long been considered a chamber of rubber-stamping. Add to this the fact that you're plagued by scandals and corruption and the Senate's prognosis is bleak indeed.

But it doesn't have to be.

In fact C51 presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you to redeem yourselves and show Canadians you can do better. You can show Canadians that, even when their elected officials have abandoned them, the Senate is still looking out for the greater good.

The number of experts who have come out in opposition of bill C51 is overwhelming. And those Canadians who understand the inner-workings of the bill stand in unanimous opposition as well. Don't be misled: the will of the people is clear. They do not want this bill.

Don't be fooled by empty rhetoric and false logic, either. I've heard some say, "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about." If you feel this way too then please let me know when I can come to your house and set up my video cameras and microphones. Let me know when I can install my spyware on your computer and start listening in on your personal phone calls. 

After all, if you have nothing to hide...

Just remember that C51 will affect all Canadians, yourselves included. You will not be exempt from the indiscriminate collection of data, nor will politicians hesitate to turn the surveillance state upon you (and one another) if there is some benefit to be derived. 

In closing I'd like to say that I for one am not in support of abolishing the Senate. I believe its intended purpose--to provide a sober second look on bills before they are made into law--is necessary now more than ever. Our political system is ancient and broken and until we can bring transparency and accountability to the House of Commons we will need individuals with integrity to hold our elected officials in check. 

You Senators ought to be those individuals. You're not yet, but you could be, and C51 is the catalyst for your transformation. 

Show Canadians why they need a Senate. Kill the Bill.

Moist Regards,

Oscar

No comments: