Friday, May 29, 2015

Book Reviews a la Meme Merchant



Most bloggers and book critics review works that have been recently published.

I'm like, fuck that. I'll do as I please, thank you very much.

I'll review 2,000 year old books if I feel like it. I'll review the Book of Job. I'll review the Kama Sutra. I'll review anything I've read in my lifetime, from fiction to scripture to psychology and everything in between.

And when I say review, what I actually mean is "comment on." I'm not going to critique here. I'll tell you why I liked it, what I got out of it, and anything else that pops up.

I won't tell you to go out and read this book.

What I will say is, "If you're into X, then this book is for you."

Or, "If you read and enjoyed Y, then this book is for you."

Or, "If you ever wondered why Z? then this book is for you."

After that you can take it or leave it.

Last thing I want to be is a critic.

Critics are trolls with glasses. Critics are people who have nothing to aspire to, no achievements of their own, so they nitpick other people's achievements. Critics build themselves up by knocking other people down.

If I don't like a book, I won't bother writing about it. Hell, I don't even bother finishing it. I read for pleasure and for self-improvement: if a book provides neither, I put it down and never pick it up again.

That simple.

So any book I review on here is, in my opinion, awesome.

No comments: